Tuesday 6 June 2017

6th of June 2017

//this is going to be extremely long, i apologise.

When i created this blog, i expected to update and write every day, not just about my life but book reviews, controversial arguments, the world that it is today. Alas things get forgotten whilst living out your life as an undergraduate.

Criminologist Undergraduate at the University of Gloucestershire, my first year is finally over. The reason for not writing is purely that i didn't understand how busy i would actually be. On top of starting a 3 year course of my favourite past time studying, i started working a weekend job at Savers, in Tewkesbury, the town where i currently reside, to get some extra money in my pocket for the little things in life, in turn giving me even less time to enjoy the things i love, like reading and writing.

A few months ago, before starting/being accepted into University, before some things came to ends, on a quick jaunt to Bristol hospital for what is classed as a 'check-up' resulted in me being informed after 13 years on a 6 month appointment yearly, (jesus 13 years?), to that me, as a patient, can now come for appointments openly, and that i don't have to go back unless something is wrong. I was told that staying on tablets, and not needing another heart wrenching (literally) ablation unless something bad happens, and to hear that my heart condition has improved, was a proud moment for me and my family. After everything me and my family have been through, 13 years worth of it, 6 operations worth of high hopes of being fixed then being shot down after every one, but alas as Doctor Stuart, who has been dealing with me since i was 8 years old, has fought hard for my safety, and has seen me grow with every operation, he said that 'technology isn't ready for you yet', if i have to take tablets for the rest of my life, and it keeps me breathing and my heart beating, i am more appreciative of the triumphant work he has done for me, than being fixed. In technicalities, my 'wolff-parkinson white syndrome' has at some point either disappeared or by many operations has been scared off and is no longer a definition of what is wrong with my heart, it is now something more complex, but easier to handle, not anymore or anyless dangerous. To be told that my heart condition is manageable, is a complete breath of fresh air for my life, i am NOT fixed, but its just as much of a nuisance as a headache now. I've been handed the acceptance of my life on a golden plater, and can now live my life the way i want and not be controlled by my heart, in turn giving me the confidence, strength and belief in myself to apply to University.

New beginnings for my brother and his now wife, with my nephew Archie, they got married the 2nd of July 2016, coming up to their first year anniversary soon! It was a beautiful ceremony, which involved many family members, and friends. It was an amazing day to remember, and lucky for me (one of not many) i can remember the night vividly. Aisling looked beautiful, Archie giving the rings, even though he couldn't have cared less, in the nicest way possible (sorry guys, but did you really expect a 1 year old to carry a pillow, with rings, straight, infront of shiny things that could distract him), Ciaran scrubbed up nicely also, kind of. But most of all, they enjoyed their celebratory night of being a married couple, a couple i can forever see together, no matter the squabbles, or how much i want to rip their eyes out, i love them dearly, and am proud of both of them. Here are some pictures:



Along with that, a couple of months (basically a whole year) later, we are expecting another McMillan into the family! No, it isn't me, its of coarse the married couple, McMillan 2.0 as we call them. Theo Patrick McMillan, due September, surprisingly close to Archibalds 3rd birthday! It's definitely an exciting time for the new welcome.

With new beginnings comes new ends, as to say, whilst a positive vibe all round was present for being accepted into University, came some news that definitely made me change my outlook on the new pathway i took. One door closes, another door opens, and that door opened on the 21st of September 2016, in the presence of an amazing human being, J. A sudden, exciting, and happy change to the few dark days that were hanging around the air. When given an opportunity to change life for the better, to take on new concepts, new ideas, new choices, it is always best to do what your heart tells you, and my heart taught me right, opening a whole new sub-chapter in the chapter i had already started.

When it comes to assignments, i thought college was hard, but in comparison Uni is a completely different 'kettle of fish', as my mother would put so blandly, first year consisted of four modules, not all of which i enjoyed, some were of the subjects i have always been interested in, some were of the subjects that didnt interest me at all, and some grew my interest into subjects i didn't even think i'd be interested in! Along with modules, comes paperwork, power-points, lost stationary, lost books, library fines, stress, stress... alot of stress, but in the same time so much enjoyment. I've come to the conclusion that i enjoy studying, i enjoy writing assignments, i enjoy reading academic books, and if all i enjoy keeping myself busy with these things. University was definitely the right path for me, academia has always been a good path for my mind, and to be able to study and write about a subject i have always been interested in, is a god send. Exams have been and gone, 3 in total, and i felt more confident over them than the assignments i had wrote, but in all my grades have been extremely suprising with over-excessive 'OH MY GODS' and 'REALLY?' and extreme support from my family and J, gave me the hope to believe in myself through the 2 more years ahead of me.

With 3 months left until i start my 2nd year of Criminology, i've decided to start up my favourite hobbies and past times again, reading and writing, throughout the next weeks/months to come i will be publishing a book review of whichever book i have finished reading, and updates every so often of my continous opinions of the world, as i have missed this dearly.

Love as always, and stay rad.
\m/

MK.


No comments:

Post a Comment