Tuesday 19 August 2014

Chapter 4 | Fanfiction of American McGee's 'Alice Madness Returns' \m/



Chapter 4 – Rutledge Asylum 

November the 4th , probably one of the worst dates of my life. I was transferred from Littlemore Infirmary, to Rutledge Asylum where I’d undergo tests on how my mental state was handling things.

And there it was again, the daydream. After so long without having it, it finally came to me; the bright colours, the wonderful views. But for some strange reason it wasn’t the same, it was darker, sicker. 

The dream came to me whilst I was in a stretcher on the way to Rutledge, but I didn’t travel to it down the rabbit hole. It seemed like I was there for a while, and that I never left. Its beguiling fragrance now distinctly suggests a decaying corpse. I found myself on the side of the path near the hatters tea party table and cottage. But for some reason I couldn’t see it, there was no table to be seen only broken china cups and saucers everywhere. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw it, the once colourful exciting place where I drank tea and ate muffins and talked about how wonderful this and was, it’s all gone, as if there was some massacre or fire… a fire?! What if the fire that happened in real life, caused it to have an effect on my dream state, maybe I ruined wonderland and killed all the animals and people with it, what have I done?

I woke up with a sudden prod in my arm, as though I was just drugged… turns out I was, it was some sort of anaesthetic to help me rest easy but to the point to put me to sleep. My Doctor, Heironymous Q. Wilson was the person to take my examination first, and he presented me blind, deaf and dumb just like the nurse in Littlemore did, but I wasn’t and I don’t understand how they haven’t classed me as normal yet! I could hear every word they were saying, and I could speak but I just haven’t tried to yet. The drug they gave me numbed my tongue and for that I wasn’t able to talk but make noises, which clearly made me sound a little bit mad… okay maybe very mad but still, I wasn’t blind nor was I deaf! Don’t know about dumb though, didn’t really have a maths exam to test my knowledge.
During my examination the drugs they gave me caused me to talk for the first time after a couple of hours of it wearing off. 

‘Wonderland’

‘Alice… must save… Wonderland’

I bet my doctor thought I was fucking nuts… oh god did I just swear?! My mother would not be happy, then again she never was happy...

Sorry about that, so yeah I started talking about wonderland, I couldn’t help it, it wasn’t my brain speaking it was something else, something inside me bringing out these words and thoughts of Wonderland, why do I need to save it? What’s causing me to say these things? I wasn’t even saying it in my accent, because I’m from oxford, and my father was a teacher I spoke very highly, and I spoke very ‘posh’ as such, but not extremely like some sort of rich kid. And when I was speaking about Wonderland, I talked in a grumbly accent, a very slow calming accent, it sounded so familiar. 

After many examinations, my Doctor could finally cut down words and sentences and even paragraphs of my outbursts of my ‘insane fairy tale’

But what he didn’t know was that whilst I was supposedly ‘muttering’ these words of wonderland, I was experiencing every single bit in day light circumstances, I was in wonderland… whilst my eyes were open, meaning I was awake the whole time. I couldn’t see clearly what was happening, but I could see that wonderland was getting darker and sicker again but this time there were different creatures, almost like someone is creating them.
There were dolls, a lot of dolls, dolls that I’d never seen before. They were half dead mostly, some of them not even walking straight due to no eyesight. But they were covered in red, yet it wasn’t blood? Because they were dolls, and for some reason they were trying to attack me. Everywhere they walked, the grass became darker, and mossier almost as if the dolls were creating death as they walked. 

There were other things too, before I was about to wake up, there was this human like creature, dressed in a deep blue blazer and a bright red tie. At first glance he looked like a human, he had snow white like skin, and as skinny as an anorexic on a good day, but there was something different. After a while of trying to clear my mind to help clear my vision, a sudden shock went through my system when it turned out that this humans face was one of the Jabberwocky face! 

My heart started to beat faster as the creature began to walk faster towards me, stumbling on uneven ground as though it was a toddler, its hands transformed into long, slimy claws as though it was in a battle with a slug. Blood red eyes were staring right through into my soul as I heard its breath getting louder, and it sounding more hungrier by the second, whilst drool was dripping down from its snake like mouth. 

‘You selfish, misbegotten and unnatural child! You smelled the smoke, but you were in dreamland having tea with all your lovely imaginary friends. You couldn’t be bothered. Your room was protected and spared while your family upstairs roasted in an inferno of incredible horror! It was all your fault Alice Liddell, it will haunt you forever’

At this moment in time I knew then that the Jabberwocky was a manifestation of the survivor guilt over the death of my family, did he not know that I knew it was all my fault? Was he not smart enough to realise that I knew the death of my own family was going to haunt me. My mind was already making up stuff when they were alive, I don’t know what my mind is capable of.

At this point I jolted awake as they were trying to put leeches on my skin to anger me, they thought the leeches were why I jolted, but much to their annoyance it wasn’t. I was still non-responsive.

‘In all my years here at Rutledge, ive never seen anything quite like it, no treatment seems to move her! I thought I had her when we put the leeches on her’

‘When I hold a flame to her dark blue eyes nothing in her vacuous gaze betrays the faintest glimmer of response’

‘I clap a pair of blocks at her ear. Nothing’

‘On some nights, she howled like a banshee!’

‘She is far, far gone, this one'.

I wasn’t gone, I was still here, I just didn’t want to wake up yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment